Whether you’re ready or not, in the summer your backyard inevitably becomes one of your home’s focal points. So why not spruce up your backyard and turn it into the perfect outdoor oasis? From outdoor movie theatres to cozy hanging beds, there are countless cool features that you can add to your backyard that will set the scene for unforgettable summer memories.
Here are some cool makeover tips for your backyard:
1) Install a hanging bed Why not take lounging to new heights? Add a dreamy dimension to your backyard by hoisting a twin bed on your deck’s open rafters for a backyard resting place that is more comfortable than a hammock and less conventional than a backyard swing. If you choose to DIY, it will be a lengthy and trying process, but once it’s complete, the finished product will quickly become your new favourite spot to unwind.
2) Transform your shedMost people don’t spend much time in their shed since they tend to be dingy and dark, so we usually end up just retrieving whatever supplies we need and getting out as quickly as possible.But what if you could transform your shabby shed into a chic outdoor escape? Even if your shed is lacking in size, subtle upgrades will make major differences. You can start by updating the doors and giving it a fresh coat of paint.If you’re up for a challenge, you can completely remodel your shed into a man cave, a she-shed, a playroom for your children, a yoga studio, an outdoor office or a playhouse for your pets. You can also consider making your backyard shed into a cabana if you have a pool. Even if you decide to keep your shed strictly for outdoor storage, a summer makeover can make it a little more stylish.
3) Start watching movies under the starsBuilding a movie theatre in your backyard sounds like an intricate, expensive operation but it really doesn’t have to be. All you need is a plain white sheet, some PVC pipes, and a projector (for better resolution, try using blackout curtains). Though building the frame will take some time, it is not as complex as it appears to be.
4) Get fit by rock climbingMany climbers dream of having a rock climbing wall of their own. It’s not only great for developing climbing skills, but it is also an effective strength training exercise and a fun activity for guests.For safety reasons, you probably shouldn’t build the wall too high, but you can still ensure that you’re being challenged by tailoring the routes to suit your strengths, weaknesses and goals.One way of installing a wall would be to anchor it to your home’s exterior; this will require ample preparation and research. So before diving into this project, be sure to consult with an expert who can ensure that you don’t damage your home (also you have to consider resale value!).
5) Install a unique fire pitMany backyards are now decked out with fire pits so some may be reluctant to follow the trend. However, there is a stylish alternative that lets you enjoy the function and aesthetic of a fire pit on a completely different level, making for tastier s’mores and more haunting fireside fables. The Jag Grill is a unique three-in-one appliance that works as a table, grill, and fire pit. Since it comes pre-assembled, it is a great option if you’re not down to DIY. The central setup is reminiscent of a Korean grill and the unit itself is ideal for families, as the design keeps flames out of reach of children.
We hope these tips help make your backyard the place to be this summer!