Do you look forward to the holiday season and decorating? Are you looking to break free from commercialism? If you prefer to take a minimal approach this season, then you will want to check out the nine nifty tips below.
1) This table setting features tapered candles with a simple white votive in each, nestled in garland. Adding greenery to an existing chandelier adds an unexpected touch to the modern holiday setting. What an easy and yet purely effective way to adorn your table!
Via Leo Patrone for Honey of a Thousand Flowers
2) Draping garland casually down a staircase with a generous ivory bow in a low sheen, understated fabric is an elegant way to invite the holidays indoors. Remember, less is more this holiday season. This arrangement will look terrific in both casual and elegant settings.
3) If you are fortunate enough to have a fireplace to adorn this holiday, consider bringing the outdoors in. Contrast a modern mantel with combinations of aromatic evergreens, tea lights and a willow bark wreath. Continue the woodland theme with a sheepskin throw and boiled wool Christmas stocking.
4) Another holiday mantel idea is to use a festive garland and include sculptural elements like these reflective reindeer and evergreen miniatures.
5) Adorn your Christmas tree with simple and sophisticated crystal teardrop ornaments. Notice how this approach creates a greater focus on the tree and the beauty of nature. Continue this theme to your table setting using chunky silver candlesticks with white candles.
6) Create a festive tablescape for your holiday celebration using twigs and berries. For a modern table setting, pair crisp white and driftwood linens with matte black silverware. With this simple, nature inspired setting you can get your children involved this year.
7) Take a modern approach on the traditional Christmas tree by selecting a frosted snow white version. Accessorize with silver & matte black ornaments and sleek looking gifts wrapped in black and gold.
8) Decorating the outdoors can be easy by using some birch tree branches and an evergreen garland. Look to nature to experience the beauty of the season.
Via thefauxmartha Instagram
9) Candles bring warmth and interest to a space any time of the year. Consider grouping lots of varying shapes and sizes on a table and adding sprigs and branches. Let your imagination run wild and use cuttings from your garden.
As this is a time to enjoy with family and friends, you should go for a nature walk to find some of your holiday decorations. This will help you create more and consume less. Looking for more inspiration? We have many more holiday decorating ideas on Pinterest!
Jo-Ann Capelaci is president and principal interior designer of Colours & Concepts Inc. The award winning company specializes in model homes and colour and upgrade selections for builders. They have been helping new home buyers choose finishes for their homes for over 20 years. Jo-Ann is dedicated to helping new home buyers create a model home feeling in their new home. Look for future articles on other topics to assist in decorating and designing your new home.