More than 600,000 Canadians are preparing for moving day this monthBy Newinhomes on Jun 06, 2018
Every year, Two Men and a Truck announce that June 30 is the busiest moving day of the year. Guess what? Still true.
According to Two Men and a Truck, roughly 4.4 million Canadians move homes every year. 50% of these people move sometime between June and September. 14% move in June and approximately one-third of them move on June 30.
That’s a busy day.
“The period between mid-June and early September includes two major holiday long weekends,” explains Chuck Resnick, Two Men and a Truck, Canada’s Vice-President, Marketing & Operations. “This year, June 30 is the Saturday of the Canada Day weekend, and Sunday, July 1 is the statutory holiday.”
“Children are home for the summer, so it’s easier to schedule a move without juggling school hours,” he adds. “Many people don’t have to work July 1, so it is less stressful as far as unpacking and organizing their new digs. They then have the summer to enjoy before the new school term begins. Weather is another consideration – it’s far easier to change residences when fighting ice and snow is removed from the picture.”
June 30 is the big day, but most of the work is done in the weeks leading up to it. You need to acquire boxes, packing tape, reach out to friends and family for help if you’re not hiring movers, and so much more!
In the spirit of the busiest time to move, Two Men and a Truck have some great tips for you:
- “Use sturdy boxes and/or containers instead of used boxes from the grocery store
- Resist over-packing. Use more containers with less in each one. We suggest this rule of thumb: the heavier the item, the smaller the box. Think books and how difficult it is to lift a large box full of them
- We sell white newsprint paper for packing. Newspaper makes a mess of your possessions
- For clothing in closets, use wardrobe boxes. Pack folded clothes into suitcases
- Label boxes on the top and sides
- Remember to pack a ‘moving day’ box with items you will need right away such as a coffee pot, mugs, kettle, a few towels, toilet tissue, green garbage bags, toothbrushes and toothpaste, band-aids, as examples
- Make sure your ‘moving day’ box is placed on the truck last so it can be unpacked first”
Whether you’re moving on your own or with Two Men and a Truck, we wish you the best of luck, especially if you’ve purchased a new construction home!